Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is Hiring!
Advisor (m/f/d) for the Pan-African E-Commerce Initiative
Our model for success is a better life for everyone and purposeful tasks for our employees. For more than 50 years, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), as a company of the German Federal Government, has been supporting the implementation of development policy goals worldwide. Together with partner organisations in 120 countries, we are involved in a diverse range of projects. If you want to make a difference in the world and develop yourself in the process, you've come to the right place.
Assignment period: 08/01/2023 - 12/31/2025
Field: Economic Development
Type of employment: full- or part-time
Application deadline: 05/31/2023
The regional project "Pan-African E-Commerce Initiative" (PeCI) commissioned by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) aims to strengthen an enabling environment for cross-border digital trade in selected countries of the African Continental Free Trade Area, especially for the benefit of micro, small and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs). For this purpose, the project supports intermediary organisations in the training of MSMEs on digital trade. In East Africa, it assists the East African Community in the implementation of its regional e-Commerce strategy. The project also supports the Smart Africa Secretariat with the implementation of the blueprints for electronic payment systems and for e-Commerce on a continental level. Moreover, the project fosters regional exchanges on innovative approaches by and for MSMEs with a focus on "greening" e-Commerce in Africa. Rwanda is one of PeCI´s focus countries.
- Steer the project’s service package in Rwanda, which comprises operational and financial planning, management of the implementation and assuring quality control of services delivered
- Technically supervise national technical advisor
- Support partner organisations in the implementation of e-Commerce policies and a cross-border e-Payment strategy in Rwanda and at the regional level
- Steer multi-stakeholder processes with strategic partners such as Smart Africa, the East African Community, and national ministries
- Support portfolio development for the sustainability of project interventions, and raise the profile of e-Commerce as a theme in
- German and European development cooperation
- Build partnerships and networks with public and private stakeholders across the e-Commerce ecosystem
- Master’s degree in economics, finance, commerce or a related field
- Experience in the technical and financial management of projects or service packages, preferably in development cooperation
- Several years of experience in implementing international trade, digital transformation or regional integration projects in developing countries
- Proven technical experience working with the private sector and/or central banks on cross-border payment topics
- Experience in coordinating policy implementation at a regional or continental level
- Resilient, quick learner, and ability to build and foster strong relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- Experience with other donor processes e.g. EU would be a plus
- Business fluent in English; German language skills would be an asset
We are pleased to offer you a first impression on topics such as climate, shopping and services, the school situation and health care in Rwanda.
In general, the security situation is calm. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the county-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. A contact person for security risk management is appointed at the local GIZ office. GIZ does not impose any restrictions on life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment. Please note that the general and personal living conditions in the country of assignment may meet with different legal and social acceptance. We gladly support you with our many years of experience.
Further information on country-specific advice from the Federal Foreign Office at https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en.
This job is suited to a full or a part-time position.
The willingness for frequent business trips is required.