Meet Betty Rono, a happy returnee to Kenya and Research Fellow from Alexandre von Humboldt International Climate Protection Fellowship.
Betty was one of the brilliant Fellows to get the Climate Fellowship Programme in 2017/8.
She joined the Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research – UFZ in Germany to pursue research. At the Research Institute, Betty has been working on a tool that can easily communicate to farmers back in Kenya about drought early warning systems. Betty seeks to generate information on drought indices, risk assessment, ecosystems management and climate change in Kenyan Arid and Semi-arid Land. After finishing the programme, Betty was motivated to return back home and do the know-how transfer and share her experience at the university in Egerton. She is still collaborating with the Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research – UFZ in Germany even after relocating to Kenya.
Watch our interview with Betty as she shares her success story:
- how she applied for the fellowship programme
- how to prepare and apply for the fellowship programme
- what motivated her to go back home
- tips for future fellows who wish to apply for such programmes
- tips for Returnees willing to go back to Kenya.
- Get inspired -