Do you want to study at a German university? Would you like to know which certificate you might require?

Foreign students have to certify a good level of German if they want to be admitted into a German university,  so inform yourself well before travelling! TestDaf or DSH? Which German language certificate is eligible for one to study in Germany? The most current certificates of proficiency include the DSH (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber) and the TestDaf (Test für Deutsch als Fremdsprache) certificates for German as a foreign language. Both are equally recognised.

If you apply for a course which is taught in German, you will have to prove that you know enough of the language. It really depends on the university which one of both examinations you will have to complete. Therefore, we recommend you to call them and ask directly before enrolling yourself in any preparatory course. Most German universities have an international department, you can find all the information on the university’s website. If you took the examination of the Goethe Institut (C2 GDS), there is no need to take any of the other examinations (TestDaF and DSH), since the Goethe-Zertifikat also certifies you to study at a German institution. The same case applies if you studied at a German school abroad and passed the German Abitur (like other German students here), you will not need to pass any extra examination if this is your case.

Regardless of what you study, you are advised to have a command of German corresponding to level B2. That will help you to make yourself understood without anyone else's help, whether out shopping, at the foreign registration office or at the doctor. Moreover, it will make it easier to have a social life and will raise your career prospects if you stay on in Germany. If you want to take a German exam while still in your home country, you can do so in one of the 158 Goethe Institutes worldwide, for example.  >> German Courses at the Goethe Insitut in Kenya.

DSH - "Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang"

This is one of the requirements when applying for studies at the university. The level of this certificate referred to as "Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang" DSH is quite advanced which is very helpful especially to students undertaking degree courses in German language. Here is an example of the exam with answers. >>DSH sample exam (with Answers).  

For more information about the exam, visit the official site here:

TestDaF - Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache

Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache (TestDaF) is another certificate which is required by universities for admission. The examination can be taken in many countries and it only requires 700 hours of German classes. To find out more about the certificate and which one is exactly required for the application, visit the official website of TestDaF here. +Link

Online Portals to learn the German language

  • DUO - Deutsch-Uni Online: The Deutsch-Uni Online is a portal to learn the German language. For more information click on DUO website: +Link
  • Ligonda - Online Language Courses: This platform offers online lessons from A1 upto C2. For more information click on Ligonda website. +Link



We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.